The streak is over.
The Midshipmen snapped an NCAA-record 43-game losing streak to the Fighting Irish on Saturday with a 46-44 victory in triple overtime.
Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada threw a 25-yard TD pass to Reggie Campbell on the first play of the third overtime, then found him again in the end zone for the 2-point conversion.
Notre Dame cut the lead to two on a 5-yard TD run by Travis Thomas. But after a pass interference call gave Notre Dame a second-chance at the 2-point conversion, defensive lineman Michael Walsh and linebacker Irv Spencer tackled Thomas well short of the end zone.
It was the first time Navy (5-4) beat Notre Dame since a 35-14 win in 1963 when Roger Staubach was quarterback for the Midshipmen.
The Midshipmen celebrated the long-awaited victory at midfield, jumping on top of each other.
For Notre Dame (1-8) it was its school-record fifth straight home loss, another low point in a season of lows.
I watched the end of this exciting game. Some comments
1- The pass interference on the first two-point try by Notre Dame was a bad call. Navy kept their cool and recovered.
2- NBC was commercial happy during the last minutes of the 4th quarter. One play, one commercial break. I’d like some football with my commercials.
3- Is Charlie Weis’ job in danger? Tyrone Willingham was never 1-8, but he was shown the door.
- Ship wreck- Navy beats Notre Dame 23-21
- Navy runs by Wake Forest 13-10
- Mother of Boy Who Called Notre Dame Play Dies
- Navy’s Paul Johnson Takes Georgia Tech Job
- Former Notre Dame and NFL football player Jack Zilly dead at 88
- Navy agrees to play in 2013 Bowl game
- Out of luck- Northwestern beats Iowa 17-10
- Charlie Weis Notre Dame Buyout $21 Million
- Frank Thomas Pillow Night
- Navy defeats Army for the 7th straight time
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed