The controversial left winger is probably facing another suspension from the NFL. From AP-
NEW YORK – Chris Simon stepped away from the New York Islanders before the NHL had a chance to toss him out.
That might be next for the troubled forward.
Simon and the Islanders agreed Monday he should take a paid break from hockey following his latest penalty for attempting to injure an opponent.
He had already missed the first five games of this season while completing a 25-game ban â€” his sixth NHL suspension â€” meted out in March. Simon played in only 26 games before he found more trouble on the ice.
He is likely in line for another long penalty after he took down and stepped on Pittsburgh’s Jarkko Ruutu last weekend. Simon is scheduled to have a hearing with NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell on Tuesday in Toronto.
“The actions of Chris Simon on Saturday do not reflect what the New York Islanders stand for,” Islanders owner Charles Wang said in a statement. “They were reckless, potentially dangerous and against our team concept of grit, character and heart.
“We know Chris as a respected teammate and as a gracious man away from the playing surface and believe strongly that he has earned our continued support. The Islanders are going to provide some time for Chris away from the team and give him the counseling he needs and the compassion he deserves. When Chris is completely ready, he will be a member of our team again.”
Wang’s defense of Simon is idiotic. Here’s the video of last Saturday’s incident.
Simon is a thug who deserves a suspension for a year at least, I’d ban him entirely if I was the NHL. Two strikes and you’re out. Go look what he did last year. This player is indefensible and if Islander management think this leave changes anything, they’re as warped as Chris Simon is.
- New York Islanders Chris Simon suspended indefinitely
- Ugly NHL
- NHL suspends Phoenix defenseman Ed Jovanovski for 2 games
- NHL hands Steve Ott three-game suspension for hit to Jordan Leopold
- Ducks’ Pronger Suspended For Game 4
- NY Islanders forward Doug Weight out six weeks with MCL sprain
- Alex Ovechkin ejected for hit on Brian Campbell
- NHL Approves Rule Changes for 2007-2008 Season
- NHL suspends Washington Defensemen Mike Green suspended for 3 games
- NHL suspends Michael Peca for bumping ref
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed