The Captain of the Colorado Avalanche last played on November 30. From AP-
DENVER – Colorado Avalanche captain Joe Sakic will undergo hernia surgery Friday and will miss eight to 12 weeks, the club announced Thursday.
Sakic has been out since Nov. 30, missing 12 games. The organization said a lack of progress in rehab has made surgery necessary.
Sakic, in his 19th season, has been Colorado’s leading scorer the past three seasons, including a 100-point campaign last year. It was the sixth time he reached the 100-point mark in his career.
The Avalanche are 8-4-1 since Sakic was injured.
Before missing the Avalanche’s game against San Jose on Nov. 30, Sakic, who has seven goals and 15 assists in 24 games this season, had played in 232 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 6, 2004.
My favorite team, the Florida Panthers, is scheduled to play Colorado next month. So I’ll miss one of the rare opportunities a Panther fan gets to see the veteran. Get well Joe.
- Colorado Avalanche fire coach Tony Granato
- Colorado and Goalie Craig Anderson blank Vancouver 3-0
- Holy Kreps- Florida beats Carolina 4-1
- Peter Forsberg seeks wants to play in the NHL again
- Joe Sacco named new Colorado Avalanche coach
- NHL hands Steve Ott three-game suspension for hit to Jordan Leopold
- Colorado Avalanche Goalie Peter Budaj has the swine flu
- Post NHL All-Star game playoff assessment- Western Conference
- NJ Devil Goalie Martin Brodeur wins his 40th game of the season
- Atlanta Thrashers sign Noah Welch and Anthony Stewart
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed