The last time the Flyers did a similar scoring feat was in 1986. From AP-
Taking a few extra minutes to clear the hats off the ice was about the only thing that slowed down the Philadelphia Flyers.
Joffrey Lupul completed the first hat trick at home in two years for the Flyers, and R.J. Umberger matched him with three goals in Philadelphia’s 8-2 rout of the Pittsburgh Penguins on Tuesday night.
Not bad for a Flyers team who went 0-8 against the Penguins last year. This year, Philadelphia is 3-0 against its Atlantic Division rival.
Lupul added three assists for the first six-point game for a Flyer since Eric Lindros on March 1, 1997, against Toronto. The Flyers also had two players with a hat trick in the same game for the first time since Tim Kerr and Dave Poulin each had three goals against the Islanders on Dec. 18, 1986.
I can’t ever recall seeing two hat tricks in a game. While I’m a fan of the notiously punchless Florida Panthers, I grew up watching the New York Islanders during their dynasty days. Thinking of it, I can’t remember the last Florida hat trick. I think it was during the 06-07 season.
- Former NHL MVP Eric Lindros retires
- Philadelphia keeps winning streak against NY Islanders in tact with 2-1 win
- New York Islanders sign G Martin Biron
- Philadelphia Flyers Defensemen Derian Hatcher retires
- Capitals outshoot Flyers 48 to 28 but lose 7-1
- Philadelphia Flyers fire Coach John Stevens
- Clobbered- Florida beats Pittsburgh 6-2
- Philadelphia Flyer Goalie Ray Emery to have season ending hip surgery
- Former NHL player Peter Zezel dead at 44
- Home New Home- Calgary beats Minnesota 5-2
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed