IRVING, TEXAS â€” Tony Sparano wasn’t ready to contemplate his future yet.
Those interviews to become head coach of the Dolphins or the Atlanta Falcons or the Baltimore Ravens meant nothing to him Sunday night.
Sparano was hurting too much as a Dallas Cowboy.
The Cowboys’ assistant head coach, minutes after their 21-17 playoff loss to the underdog New York Giants at Texas Stadium, cut a brisk path across the locker room and headed for the door.
“I can’t speak on anything right now” Sparano said, bristling at attempts to learn more about his career plans. “I’m part of the Dallas Cowboys. That’s what I am.
“I mean, I suffered this loss just like they did. I’m not speaking about any of those things.”
Several NFL insiders insist Sparano, who coaches the offensive line and serves as running game coordinator, will become the next Dolphins head coach because of his thick ties with the remodeled front office.
He joined the Cowboys in 2003 as an assistant under Bill Parcells, now the Dolphins football operations chief. Sparano also worked with new Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland, who was the Cowboys’ director of college and pro scouting the past three drafts.
The Dolphins interviewed Sparano on Jan. 5. Despite a report from his hometown paper, the New Haven Register, which cited an anonymous source that claimed Sparano had been offered the job, NFL rules prevented the Dolphins from officially offering him the job until the Cowboys completed their season.
I blogged a week ago about the Register article. Saying at the time-
The job is Sparano’s if he wants it. Miami is just going through the motions in order to fufill the Rooney rule.
I still hold to this view. Parcells and Ireland have indicated all along they want a coach they are familar with. The only coach interviewed so far who meets that criteria is Sparano.
During yesterday’s game, one of the Fox announcers predicted Miami would name Sparano head coach by Tuesday if Dallas lost. My prediction- Friday afternoon 1300 hours. Anyone else care to join in a when Sparano is named Dolphin coach pool?
- Report says Miami Dolphins offered coaching job to Tony Sparano
- Cowboys’ Jeff Ireland New Dolphins GM
- Reports say Miami Dolphins have hired Tony Sparano to be head coach
- Tony Sparano Secret to Cowboys’ Success?
- Tony Sparano Plays Waiting Game
- Bill Parcells no longer Miami Dolphin VP of Football Operations
- Cowboys Interviewing Mike Singletary
- Parcells Fires Mueller, Cameron Next?
- Miami Dolphins fire Coach Cam Cameron
- Cowboys Finalizing Coaching Staff
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed