DAVIE – It’s one and done for first-year Dolphins coach Cam Cameron after newly hired General Manager Jeff Ireland fired him and most of his staff Thursday morning.
Clearly, Cameron and vice president of football operations Bill Parcells’ mutual friendship with iconic college basketball coach Bob Knight wasn’t enough to salvage Cameron’s job. Cameron still had three seasons left on a four-year contract worth an estimated $10 million, but a franchise-worst 1-15 record was hard to overlook.
When asked about his decision to fire Cameron during today’s news conference, Ireland said, “It was a pretty simple process. Bill [Parcells] and I talked at length [Wednesday] about where we were going, what direction we were going. We just felt like in order to move forward and not look back that we needed someone in place that shared the same philosophical compatibilities that we shared.”
Only linebackers coach George Edwards and assistant special teams coach Steve Hoffman were retained. Hoffman worked with Parcells in Dallas for two seasons but was fired after the 2004 season.
Cam Cameron deserves some of the blame for the disastrous 07 season, but Miami has been making poor decisions at least a decade. Cameron was just the unlucky soul to be there for the collapse, much like Johnny Keane was with the 1965 New York Yankees. If Miami had hired differently at the end of 06, the team would have still been one of the worst in the league.
The firing of the assistants comes as little surprise with one exception. I expected Offensive Line Coach Hudson Houck to be retained. He’s considered one of the best at what he does. The OL’s performance this year was one of the few good things you could say about the Dolphin season.
Who will be the next head coach? I have no preference (At the end of the 2004 season, I wanted Miami to retain Jim Bates. After Saban quit, I took a neutral stance like I do now) but if I had to make a guess as to who Parcells hires it will be Tony Sperano.
Sperano sounds like another Assistant Coach flavor of the year choice to me. Namely a team hiring an assistant working for a successful team. Much like…..Miami hiring Cam Cameron a year ago. Wasn’t he an offensive genius a year ago?
- Parcells Fires Mueller, Cameron Next?
- Cowboys’ Jeff Ireland New Dolphins GM
- Former Dolphin Head Coach Cam Cameron to be Off Coordinator for Baltimore
- Miami Dolphin Coach Cam Cameron is toast
- Bill Parcells no longer Miami Dolphin VP of Football Operations
- Buffalo Bills hire Chan Gailey as head coach
- Cam Cameron says he is not interested in Michigan job
- Detroit Lions fire coach Rod Marinelli
- Cowboys Coaching Search: Hiring Staff Before Head Coach?
- Reports say Miami Dolphins have hired Tony Sparano to be head coach
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed