Is the next (and better) Daisuke headed to MLB? According to a report of a report of a report, it could happen after this season. Yu Darvish is just 21 and won the NPB (Nippon Professional Baseball) Cy Young with a dominating season: 207.2 ip, 1.82 era, 210 k, 49 bb, 123 h, 0.83 whip.
The problem is that he doesn’t become a free agent for another six years, he is the current face of NPB and has said he has no intention of playing in the U.S. However, his team (Nippon Ham Fighters) could be convinced to post him if they knew the posting fee would surpass $100 million, and Darvish might feel differently about MLB if he knew he could earn upwards of $15 million as opposed to $2 million in Japan.
Anyway, it doesn’t make much sense to me when they can do exactly what Daisuke’s old team did: hold on to him until he has one year left to free agency, then post him. They get five more years of his services and would still get a comparable posting fee as he would just be entering his prime. But, if he demands to be posted (to start making the big bucks) they would do it.
(h/t to MLBTradeRumors.)
- Great article on measuring intangibles.
- Raiders Cut QB Kerry Collins in Cap Move
- Let the trading begin- Columbus sends Goalie Pascal Leclaire to Ottawa
- Packers Give Favre More Time to Make Up His Mind
- Patriots Sticking to the Plan
- Cleveland Indians trade P Cliff Lee to Philadelphia
- WR Torry Holt signs with Jacksonville Jaguars
- Washington Redskins TE Chris Cooley apologizes for revealing photo
- Browns Sign Center LeCharles Bentley
- Makes no cents at all- Chicago Blackhawk Patrick Kane charged with robbery
- Steelers Sign Batch, Keisel, Free Agent Clark
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed