In the process some NBA history will be made.
TORONTO – Raptors coach Sam Mitchell is taking a leave of absence so he can fly home to Atlanta following the death of his father-in-law.
A team spokesman said Monday that Mitchell left Toronto and will not rejoin the Raptors until after the All-Star break. Toronto’s first game after the break is at home against Orlando on Feb. 20.
Assistant coach Mike Evans was to take charge of the team for Monday’s game against San Antonio, because the Spurs are one of the teams he scouts. Fellow assistant Jay Triano will serve as head coach for Wednesday’s game against New Jersey.
A native of Niagara Falls, Ont., Triano will be the first Canadian head coach in NBA history
My condolences to the Mitchell family. Now it will have to be seen if Canada lets the coach back in the country. They may not want their first ever NBA coach to step down!(Sarcastic laughter time)
- Toronto Raptors fire coach Sam Mitchell
- Big Break- Jan Dowling to next Florida Gators Women’s golf coach
- Kevin Mitchell, Former NFL Linebacker, Dies at 36
- Former Missississippi State Coach Paul Davis dead at 87
- Report says Miami Dolphins offered coaching job to Tony Sparano
- Arizona coach Lute Olson taking year off
- LA Lakers Andrew Bynum misses team flight to Toronto
- Let the Madness Commence
- New Charter flight rules causing headaches for sports teams
- Eastern Illinois Asst. Coach Jeff Hoover dead at 41
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed