The Maple Leaf forward did it as he left the penalty box during a game last night.
Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nik Antropov has been suspended for three games for throwing his stick in the direction of the referees when he left the penalty box after the Carolina Hurricanes won Thursday night, 3-2, in overtime.
It was the culmination of a difficult night for the Maple Leafs, who were seething about the officiating after the game in Raleigh, N.C.
Nik Antropov, who has played in all 53 Maple Leafs games this season, will miss three after throwing his stick toward the referees.
Antropov was called for hooking Cory Stillman with 2:36 left in overtime, and Rod Brind’Amour scored the winner during the power play. When Antropov departed from the penalty box, he slammed his stick on the ice, then tossed it along the boards, but toward the referees. He was assessed two game misconduct penalties, the second of which was for abuse of an official and carries an automatic three-game suspension.
Antropov, 27, has played in all 53 Leafs games this season and has 41 points (18 goals, 23 assists), second-best on the team behind only captain Mats Sundin.
According to the NHL rulebook, a three-game suspension is levied when “any player or goalkeeper who, by his actions, physically demeans an official or physically threatens an official by [but not limited to] throwing a stick or any other piece of equipment.”
NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy confirmed from the league office in Toronto that Antropov would be suspended for three games, according to the Toronto Globe and Mail.
I haven’t seen a video of the incident, but if Antropov threw his stick anywhere in the direction of the refs, the Maple Leaf player has gotten off lightly for his actions. Not surprisingly, since the NHL has handed out light penalties for far worse actions than Antropov’s. That the league contiues this policy may not be anything new, but I feel outrage should still be expressed till the NHL does something about these hooligans.
- Waffle throwing fan banned from Toronto Maple Leaf games
- NHL Hall of Famer Ted ‘Teeder’ Kennedy dead at 83
- Hockey fan buys dressing room toilet for $5,300
- Toronto Maple Leafs complete separate trades with Anaheim and Calgary
- Ron Wilson becomes new Toronto Maple Leafs coach
- NHL Approves Rule Changes for 2007-2008 Season
- Toronto Maple Leafs trade Goalie Justin Pogge to Anaheim
- NHL Left Winger Gary Roberts announces his retirement
- Rout- Florida Panthers beat Toronto Maple Leafs 8-0
- Thrown hockey stick leads to Colorado Avalanche victory
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
- Rout- Florida Panthers beat Toronto Maple Leafs 8-0 linked with OTB Sports
Comments are Closed