If the games meant something, would a comedian play in them?
A swath of Yankees fans kept saying they couldnâ€™t wait to see the new, aggressive Yankees under Joe Girardi. I donâ€™t think they had Billy Crystal in mind.
Signing a comedian for a one-day-only gig does not fit into the W.W.B.D. (What Would Billy Do) wing of Yankees fandom, who felt Joe Torre was much too passive in his final years as the manager. (I thought Torre was mature.) Having Crystal gamboling in a spring training game, as a 60th birthday gift, as he did Thursday, does not jibe with the new leaner-meaner image of the Yankees.
Once a good high school player and still in excellent shape, Crystal carried himself with dignity while striking out swinging on a 3-2 pitch to lead off for the Yankees.
- Joba and Kennedy promoted, Clemens strong
- Torre to Manage Yankees in 2006
- Why did the Yanks trade ‘Everyday’ Scott Proctor?
- Torre fired
- MLB pitcher Scott Baker strikes out 4 in one inning
- Yankees sweep Arizona – winning streak at nine
- Yankee pitchers dropping like flies
- Busy Yankee game: Rocket dominates, benches clear and Joba debuts
- Bullpen wastes Arod’s big game
- Tonight! Yanks clinch playoff spot
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed