Our most recent example of bad golf writing comes from Golf Week’s Beth Ann Baldry.
No LPGA player has ever held all four majors at the same time. Pat Bradley came the closest, starting with the British in 1985, then winning the 1986 Kraft Nabisco and McDonaldâ€™s Championship.
Unfortunately the 1985 Women’s British Open Champ was Betsy King. Also the tournament Pat Bradley won was the du Maurier. Any competent golf writer who covers the LPGA Tour full-time would know the du Maurier was one of that tour’s major championships in the 1980′s. The British Open only replacing the du maurier as a major in 2001. Golf Week has since fixed the mistake, after I told Beth of it in an email. I did make a screen capture for posterity’s sake. Beth has made three mistakes in her last three Golfweek columns. That’s a great percentage if we’re talking batting averages, but bad if we’re talking the ability to keep simple facts straight. Something golf writers have a bad time doing.
I guess Beth Ann is now taking golf history lessons from AP’s Doug Ferguson.
Hat tip- Ryan at GNN.
- Phil Mickelson undergoes a gender change
- Juggernaut- Inbee Park wins the US Open
- LPGA Commissioner Carolyn Bivens speaks
- British Open after 36 holes- KJ Choi leads by one shot
- California State Senate moves to bar LPGA English policy
- When Irish eyes are smiling…again- Padrig Harrington wins the PGA Championship
- Michelle Wie to enter LPGA Qualifying School
- Breakthrough- Ai Miyazato wins the Evian Masters
- The 2009 LPGA season begins today
- ESPN to televise all four rounds of Women’s British Open starting in 2010
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed