Chop Chick points out that two longtime Atlanta Braves stars are coming up on major career milestones. John Smoltz is just four strikeouts away from the 3000 K mark. And Chipper Jones is just 10 home runs shy of the 400 milestone.
Smoltz is 5th on the active list, two slots ahead of once-and-again teammate Tom Glavine and three behind former teammate Greg Maddux. And he’s already up to 16th on the all-time list; it’s not inconceivable he could finish past some of those ahead of him.
Jones’ achievement is less spectacular these days. He’s 8th among active players in homers, 9th if someone signs Barry Bonds. And five of them will likely be in the 500 club (six, counting Bonds) by the time he gets to 400.
The season’s still young but they’re also leading the National League in key categories. Smoltzie is 3-0 with an astounding 0.56 ERA while Jones has 27 hits and is batting .443!
Not bad for a couple of old timers!
- Mocking Barry Bonds
- Barry Bonds Allegedly Failed Amphetamine Test
- Bonds and Steroids: Circumstantial Evidence?
- Chipper Jones and John Smoltz Make Up
- Barry Bonds Hits No. 715, Passing Babe Ruth
- John Smoltz’ Season Ending Surgery
- Chipper Jones Gets 2000th Hit
- Chipper Jones – John Smoltz Feud Brings Disharmony to Braves Clubhouse
- Barry vs. Babe: No Contest
- Barry Bonds May Leave San Francisco
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed