Tiger Woods made some interesting remarks at a press conference yesterday-
Q. What was your reaction when you heard Annika, that she would retire at the end of the season? And have you spoken with her since then? And, if so, what have you spoken about?
TIGER WOODS: I knew that was going to happen. She’s done it all. She’s been through it all. For men and women, it is two totally different things. Who knows, she might come back or not. I doubt it. I don’t see Annika ever doing anything half-ass. The time she is going to spend with her child and her family, I don’t ever see her ever wanting to come back to the game of golf in that capacity. What it takes to do that, I don’t foresee her doing it. We talked quite a bit after that.
Based on these comments, golf bloggers Ryan and Geoff have begun the speculation. That the reason Annika announced her retirement is due to her being pregnant. Could Annika of been pregnant at the time of the press conference? I don’t remember what movie it was said in, but here’s my three word reply-
Not bloody likely.
If Annika knew she was pregnant at the press conference, she would have to be at the very least four weeks pregnant.(An HPT finding out that very day she is having a baby). If Annika was 4 weeks at the time of her conference, I used an online pregnancy calculator to determine-
Her due date would be January 20, 2009
Therefore she would be 34.4 weeks pregnant minimum the day the Dubai tournament ends.
All of you raise your hands if you know a professional lady golfer who competed in a pro golf tournament at that time in her pregnancy?
Not too many hands up in the air, eh?
Therefore I hypothesize that Annika was probably not pregnant at the time of her May 13th press conference.
Other circumstantial evidence in favor of my opinion-
1- A doctor would likely tell Annika to stop playing
2- Annika would likely not want to risk both her and her first child’s health by competing.
3- Fellow Swede Carin Koch is an LPGA pro in addition to being mother to two and she and Annika know one another well. Annika would likely of known when Carin stopped playing.
A woman can play golf if she wants up to birth, but the Vicky Hurst story notwithstanding, it isn’t the most comfortable of things to do. An amateur golfer also can use a golf cart, Annika would have no such thing in Dubai.
Could Annika be pregnant? Yes. If she is, I wish Annika well.
Would she play Dubai next December if she was 34 weeks pregnant at the time? No.
- Annika Sorenstam announces her retirement
- Annika Sorenstam finishes 7th in farewell tournament
- Tiger Woods’ foundation brings PGA event back to D.C.
- Tiger Woods rallies to win Dubai Desert Classic
- Annika Sorenstam delays ‘retirement’
- Earl Woods Dies at 74
- European Tour to include FedEx Cup-style format in ’09
- Annika Sorenstam to miss LPGA Tour events due to back injury
- Tiger Woods and his wife expecting first child
- Tiger Woods to Skip the Nissan Open
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed