No surprise here.
NEW YORK – The Chicago Bulls selected Derrick Rose with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft Thursday night, choosing the Memphis guard over Kansas State forward Michael Beasley.
Rose, a Chicago native, led the Tigers to the national championship game in his lone college season. The Bulls opted for the point guard’s playmaking ability over the scoring and rebounding of Beasley, who ranked in the top three in the nation in both categories as a freshman.
Rose is the Bulls’ first No. 1 overall selection since they grabbed Elton Brand in 1999. He’s the second straight freshman taken with the top pick, following Portland’s Greg Oden last year.
Rose should be an upgrade over Kirk Hinrich, who now could be traded, and gives the Bulls another option if they don’t re-sign guard Ben Gordon.
I have no idea about how good Rose will be or won’t be.
The Miami Heat(I’m from South Florida) made the next selection.
Miami settled for Beasley at No. 2, a pick the Heat considered trading. Beasley averaged 26.2 points, third in the nation, and topped Division I with 12.4 rebounds per game. But with questions about his size â€” he may be 2 inches shorter than the 6-foot-10 he’s listed at â€” the Bulls may not have believed he could play the 4 spot in the NBA.
Who misled(or lied to) people about Beasley’s height? Memphis or Beasley himself? I once remember a ML baseball team getting ready to give a former football player a tryout, thinking he was 25 years old. The tryout was cancelled after it was learned he was in his thirties.
- Crushed- Charlotte beats Miami 104-65
- Streaks of one- Miami beats New Jersey 87-84
- Boston Celtics win 14th in a row, beat NO 94-82
- Dwyane Wade to opt for rehab
- Miami Wins Game 6, Claims NBA Title
- Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade through for the year
- Former UAB and NBA Basketball player Alan Ogg dead at 42
- Ticking clock- Miami beats New Jersey 99-89
- Kings for a day- Miami Heat defeat Sacramento 107-86
- How about those 0-5 Miami Heat
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed