The Golf World editor and writer doesn’t make a mistake this week as much as an error of ommision. In an article about Yani Tseng’s win at the LPGA Championship last weekend, Sirak writes-
The closest any player from Taiwan had come to winning a major was T.C. Chen in the 1985 U.S. Open at Oakland Hills. He had a four-stroke lead in the final round then unraveled after a double-hit on a chip shot. Tseng saw the shot on TV the week before the McDonald’s and marveled because “that’s not really a hard shot,” she laughed, blaming the double-hit on poor technique. “But don’t tell him that,” she said, laughing more.
True Chen lost by only one shot, but he isn’t the only Taiwanese golfer to come that close to a golf major.
May I present Lu Liang Huan.
1971 â€“ Lee Trevino wins his first Open(British) as little-known Taiwanese player Lu Liang-Huan â€“ affectionately known as â€œMr Luâ€ â€“ comes within a stroke of an incredible victory.
So in fact Chen and Mr. Lu came equally close. If Mr. Sirak answers my page I’ll suggest he take some remedial lessons in golf history.
- Royal Birkdale and Taiwanese golfers or Yani Tseng and Mr. Lu
- Kraft Nabisco Championship preview
- Candie Kung wins the Hana Bank Kolon Championship
- Minea Blomqvist is one shot back after two rounds at the US Open
- Domination- Jiyai Shin wins the Women’s British Open
- CBS Golf announcer Bobby Clampett apologizes for comment
- The return of Grace Park?
- Tiger Woods Misses Cut at U.S. Open
- Ji Whiz- Eun Hee Ji wins the U.S. Open
- Lorena Ochoa wins the Women’s British Open
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed