The Dallas Cowboys cut 21 players at the 5 pm deadline Saturday to get their roster down to the mandatory 53: QB Richard Bartel, WR Mark Bradford, WR Todd Lowber, WR Danny Amendola, WR Mike Jefferson, TE Rodney Hannah, TE Drew Atchison, RB Alonzo Coleman, RB Keon Lattimore, FB Julius Crosslin, C Ryan Gibbons, OT Cory Lekkerkerker, DE Marcus Smith, DE Marcus Dixon, NT Junior Siavii, NT Remi Ayodele, LB Darrell Robertson, LB Erik Walden, LB Tyson Smith, LB Tearrius George, S Dowayne Davis.
The “final” roster, then, looks like this:
QB (2) – Tony Romo, Brad Johnson
RB (4) – Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Tashard Choice, Deon Anderson
WR (5) – Terrell Owens, Patrick Crayton, Sam Hurd, Miles Austin, Isaiah Stanback
TE (3) – Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett, Tony Curtis [UPDATE 2 - Forgot tight ends, too. My bad. Again]
OL (11) – LT Flozell Adams, LG Kyle Kosier, C Andre Gurode, RG Leonard Davis, RT Marc Colombo, G Montrae Holland, T Pat McQuistan, G Joe Berger, C Cory Procter, OG James Marten, OT Doug Free [UPDATE - I forgot Free on the first run through. My bad.]
DL (6) – Chris Canty, Jay Ratliff, Marcus Spears, Tank Johnson, Jason Hatcher, Stephen Bowen
LB (8) – Greg Ellis, Bradie James, Zach Thomas, DeMarcus Ware, Kevin Burnett, Bobby Carpenter, Anthony Spencer, Justin Rogers
DB (11) – CB Terence Newman, CB Anthony Henry, S Roy Williams, S Ken Hamlin, CB Adam Jones, CB Mike Jenkins, CB Orlando Scandrick, S Pat Watkins, S Courtney Brown, CB Alan Ball, CB Evan Oglesby
Sp (3) – P Mat McBriar, K Nick Folk, LS L.P. Ladouceur
I put scare quotes around “final,” of course, because the other 31 teams are having to make similar moves and, inevitably, all teams will sign at least one player for someone else and churn the bottom of the roster.
It looks, for sure, that the Cowboys will bring back Keith Davis, a special teams ace who’s been a very mediocre safety.
Tampa Bay has cut QB Chris Simms, who the Cowboys have long rumored being interested in.Â Will the Cowboys bring him in as their number 3, hoping to displace Brad Johnson as the backup at some point?Â Will Simms be willing to do that, rather than trying to go to a team less solid at the QB1 slot than Dallas?
Jamaica Rector, a former backup receiver for the Cowboys, has been cut by the Arizona Cardinals.Â Do the Cowboys re-sign him, at least on a short-term basis, given all the injuries at wide receiver?Â He knows the system, you’d think, but is having insurance at WR worth cutting a developmental player?
- Cowboys Sign QB Brad Johnson to Three-Year Deal
- 11 Dallas Cowboys Make Pro Bowl
- Cowboys Cut Keyshawn, Sparking More T.O. Rumors
- Cowboys Free Agent Shopping List
- Romo Out 4 Weeks with Broken Pinkie
- 2008 NFL Mock Draft: NFC East
- Cowboys Looking to Trade Pick for Star WR
- Dallas Cowboys Cut 9 to Get to 75 Man Limit
- Cowboys Hire Wilson and Read to Coaching Staff
- Dallas Cowboys Roster Cuts
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed