The British Formula One driver used some improper chicanery.
SPA-FRANCORCHAMPS, Belgium — Felipe Massa was declared the winner of Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix after Lewis Hamilton was penalized for cutting a corner during a late duel with world champion Kimi Raikkonen.
Hamilton crossed the line 14.4 seconds ahead of Ferrari’s Massa in a dramatic finish that saw Raikkonen crash into a barrier, but the McLaren driver was penalized 25 seconds for his illegal maneuver.
Race stewards said in a statement that Hamilton “cut the chicane and gained an advantage” that allowed him to take the lead from Raikkonen in the rain-splashed finale.
The penalty from FIA demoted Hamilton to third, with BMW Sauber’s Nick Heidfeld promoted to second.
I honestly don’t follow auto racing enough to recall if this ever happened before. Back in the 1970′s I followed the sport quite a bit and remember a dispute at the 1972 Indy 500. Jerry Grant was leading when he a flat tire forced him to pit. He overshot his pit, and his car was re-fueled using another driver’s supply. Grant finished 2nd, but after the race was penalized for what happened and placed 12th.
- Rubens Barrichello wins the European Grand Prix
- Jenson Button wins the Monaco Grand Prix
- Ferrari boss smashed TV after F1 finale
- F1 driver Felipe Massa’s skull fractured in freak accident
- Sebastian Vettel wins Chinese Grand Prix
- Rubens Barrichello wins the Italian Grand Prix
- IRL Driver Paul Dana Dies After Crash
- Lewis Hamilton wins Singapore Grand Prix
- Formula One star Lewis Hamilton banned from driving in France
- Danica Patrick the Next Anna Kournikova?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed