When the LPGA Tour released its 2009 schedule last week, there were several holes to be filled for tournament sites. One was the Samsung World Championship, scheduled for Sept. 17-20. The location: TBD.
If International Management Group, which runs the Samsung, gets its wish, the event will be staged on one of the Torrey Pines golf courses.
City Golf Manager Jon Maddern confirmed that preliminary talks between IMG and the city have recently taken place in an effort to bring the 2009 Samsung to San Diego. Maddern said he has told IMG the September dates would work on either of the Torrey Pines courses, North and South. He said IMG has yet to specify which course it would like to use.
â€œThey have made contact with me. There is nothing further than that,â€ Maddern said. â€œThere is no signed contract.â€
I’d love to see the ladies play Torry Pines, but preferably the South course. The North is only used for one round of play on Thursdays and Fridays each January as the course hosts the Buick Invitational.
Hat tip- Ryan at Waggleroom
- Torrey Pines to host 2009 LPGA tournament
- Samsung ends LPGA Tournament sponsorship
- Tiger Woods wins his 7th straight PGA Tour title
- 2008 LPGA Tour schedule
- Farmers Insurance to sponsor San Diego Open through 2014
- ShopRite LPGA pulls plug over scheduling conflict
- Na Yeon Choi wins the Samsung World Championship
- Farmers Insurance Group to sponsor San Diego Open
- Tour event in Atlanta discontinued due to lack of sponsor
- For all the tea- LPGA China event canceled for 2009
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed