The Tampa Bay Lightning keep finding ways to lose hockey games.
Milan Hejduk was awarded the lone goal in a shootout when Tampa Bay goalie Mike Smith was penalized for throwing his stick as the Colorado Avalanche beat the Lightning 2-1 on Thursday night.
Smith’s stick came loose when he was making a save on Hejduk’s backhander. After discussing the play for several minutes, the officials awarded the goal.
“They huddled to make the decision to see if they felt the stick was thrown,” NHL senior vice president of hockey operations Mike Murphy said in a phone interview from Toronto. “And if a stick is thrown, as outlined in Rule 26.4, they can award a goal and that’s what they did in this case. There was a strong feeling that his stick was thrown.”
Tampa Bay’s players and head coach Rick Tocchet weren’t happy with the call. I didn’t see the play, so I can’t pass judgment. It has to be a tough year for Tampa area hockey fans.
Update- Here’s a video of the play
It is my opinion the referees badly blew the call. Puck Daddy has more.
- Home away from home- Tampa Bay beats Atlanta 2-1
- Crushed- Ottawa Senators beat Tampa Bay Lightning 7-1
- How did anyone think Tampa Bay could be a Stanley Cup contender this year?
- Continuing the plunge- TB Lightning lose to Buffalo 4-2
- Tampa Bay Lightning fire Coach John Tortorella
- Tampa Bay Lightning lose 5th in a row
- Florida Panthers- A blah effort
- Washington Capitals Mark Green sets new record for defensemen
- Tampa Bay Lightning fire Coach Barry Melrose
- Milwaukee Brewers want call overturned and no-hitter given to CC Sabathia
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed