The NFL regular season isn’t 24 hours old when the first coaching casualties are already taking place. From ESPN-
Eric Mangini is out as head coach of the New York Jets after the team lost four of its last five games to finish out of the playoffs.
The clincher was the Jets’ 24-17 loss to Miami on Sunday that gave the Dolphins the AFC East title.
“We don’t take this decision lightly,” Jets owner woody johnson said at a Monday morning news conference. “We respect Eric for what he’s done but we want to build on the successful foundation he has laid.”
Mangini, 37, was 23-26 in three seasons with the Jets, including 0-1 in the playoffs.
“We’ve made the decision to move on,” Johnson said.
The Jets acquired Brett Favre before the season started and ran off to an 8-3 start. But losses to Denver, at San Francisco, at Seattle and Sunday to the Dolphins left New York on the outside of the playoffs for the second straight season.
The Favre maneuver didn’t work out short term for the Jets, and could be a long-term disaster is Pennington has a few more good years in a Miami uniform. Mangini paid the price for the dumb decision made by Jets management.
- NY Jets hire Baltimore asst Rex Ryan to be next head coach
- Bret Favre retires…..again
- NY Jets sign former Miami Dolphin placekicer Jay Feely
- Miami Dolphins- In control of their playoff destiny
- Cleveland Browns name
ballboyEric Mangini head coach
- Weekly Miami Dolphins prediction
- 2008 NFL Football schedule is out
- Basement to the Penthouse- Miami wins the AFC East with 24-17 win over NY Jets
- Browns Fire Eric Mangini
- Brett Favre’s Consecutive Starts Streak
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed