NY Rangers prospect took PEDs before his death
Chemical analysis of his blood shows Cherepanaov used performance enhancing drugs for at least several months before his death. From Reuters-
Alexei Cherepanov, who died after losing consciousness during a Russian Superleague game two months ago, had been taking banned substances, government investigators said on Monday.
The 19-year-old forward, one of Russia’s most talented young hockey players, was rushed to hospital after collapsing late in the third period of the game between Vanguard Omsk and Chekhov, a small town south of Moscow.
He never regained consciousness and later died.
The investigative unit of the Prosecutor-General’s office said on its Web site that Cherepanov was suffering from heart problems that should have ruled him out of competing in professional sports.
But it said a chemical analysis of his blood by forensic experts also showed he had taken banned performance-enhancing drugs for several months before his death.
If true, Alexei Cherepanov is just the latest young athlete(Remember Len Bias?) who destroyed his life in pursuit of sports fame. It is sad every time it happens.
- Five Russian Hockey league players found to have heart defects
- Maggie Dixon, Army Basketball Coach, Dies at 28
- Samford University basketball player Jim Griffin dead at 23
- NFL considering mandatory echocardiograms
- Royal Pains- Sheik Mohammed gets 6-month ban for horse doping
- LPGA player Erica Blasberg dead at 25
- Former NCAA Wrestling champ Jack Brisco dead at 68
- Bo Schembechler, Michigan Coaching Legend, Dead at 77
- Welcome to OTB Sports
- Austrian dopers could face fraud charges
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed