Looks like a classic sports case of “I really screwed up and because of that I will continue to screw up’.* From AP-
Washington Capitals goalie Jose Theodore came off injured reserve Friday, and Simeon Varlamov was assigned back to AHL affiliate Hershey after winning his first two NHL starts in net.
Theodore injured his hip last week and returned to practice Wednesday. He has struggled this season after joining Washington on a $9 million, two-year contract, going 8-6-1 with a 3.08 goals-against average and .888 save percentage.
The 20-year-old Varlamov led the Capitals past the Canadiens 2-1 on Dec. 13 — the first NHL goalie since 1978 to win his debut at Montreal — then helped beat the St. Louis Blues 4-2 on Thursday.
The Russian is 10-3 with a 2.34 GAA at Hershey.
Theodore’s 3.08 GAA is not very good and not at all out of line with how this Goalie has played in his career. Look at Theodore’s stats in Colorado He’s at best a average backup Goalie.
Varlamov has the potential to be a Goalie much better than Theodore. If the Caps were wiser or not afraid to dump a higher priced(4.5 million a year is outrageous for a goalie of Theodore’s quality) veteran player, they would give Varlamov a longer look at the NHL level now. Since Washington is in the same division with the Panthers, I won’t complain too much at the team’s dumb personnel decision.
*- Team pays tons of money for player who then stinks but team won’t bench or get rid of the player because they paid so much for them in the first place only compounding the original mistake.
- Washington Capitals sign team’s Web site producer as backup goalie
- Minnesota Wild sign G Wade Dubielewicz
- Washington and Carolina advance in Stanley Cup playoffs
- Stanley Cup playoffs begin- NY Rangers beat Washington 4-3
- Back on track? Washington beats NY Rangers 4-0
- NHL Goalie Olaf Kolzig retires
- No way Jose- FL Panthers rout Washington 6-2
- Capitals outshoot Flyers 48 to 28 but lose 7-1
- Washington Capitals get goalie Huet from Montreal
- Washington limits Vancouver to just 10 shots on goal
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed