It was Serena’s third triumph down under since 2003. From AP-
Serena Williams routed Dinara Safina 6-0, 6-3 Saturday to win the Australian Open for her 10th Grand Slam title and a return to the No. 1 ranking.
It was total domination for the second-seeded Williams, who looked at ease in winning back-to-back majors — she won the U.S. Open championship in September — and was moving fluidly on the court.
“I absolutely, clearly, love playing here,” the 27-year-old Williams said. “You guys root for me so much. I don’t get that everywhere. So thank you so much.”
Williams’ near-perfect performance was in sharp contrast to No. 3 Safina, who was tight from the start. Later apologizing to the crowd for her performance, Safina said Williams was just too good, leaving her feeling like a ballboy.
I remember people beginning to write off Serena and her sister Venus before the 2007 Australian Open. (Yours truly gave them and their father a Knucklehead award for off the court problems) They were wrong. Anyone want to predict how many more Grand Slam titles will win in her career? I’m going to say two.
- Serena Williams wins the Australian Open
- Serena Williams could be further punished for U.S. Open outburst
- Venus Williams wins her 5th Wimbledon title
- Roger Federer wins his 4th Australian Open
- Serena Williams loses U.S. Open tennis match due to penalty
- Venus Williams beats Maria Kirilenko to win Korean Open
- Grand Slam of Golf leaving for Bermuda- Who cares?
- Slammed- Roger Federer wins the French Open
- Andre Agassi to Retire after Wimbledon and U.S. Open
- Comeback kids- Kim Clijsters defeats Justine Henin to win Brisbane Intl. title
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed