He took the fish to an 84-77 record and Sporting News National League Manager of year honors in 2008. From the Palm Beach Post-
Then came an unexpected but welcome zinger from team President David Samson: The Marlins had signed manager Fredi Gonzalez to a two-year contract extension through 2011.
Gonzalez was entering the final year of a three-year, $1.5 million contract that he signed after the Marlins fired Joe Girardi following the 2006 season. The extension, agreed to Saturday, means Marlins players can look forward to three more years of stability.
“It’s a smart move by the front office,” All-Star second baseman Dan Uggla said. “I think it’s very important to have the same guy around. He starts to get a feel for the ballclub. It all starts with him. He’s our leader.”
Gonzalez, The Sporting News National League manager of the year in 2008 for guiding Florida to an 84-77 record and a 13-win improvement with the league’s lowest payroll, said he didn’t know about the extension until he was called into owner Jeffrey Loria’s office Saturday.
I wouldn’t place any money on Gonzalez still being with the team at the end of 2011. For one thing, Florida has has ten managers in its 16 year existence. One of those managers, John Boles, did two stints in the job. Rene Lacheman has lasted the longest in the job, 3.5 years.
Another thing- Jeffrey Loria hasn’t shown himself to be very stable between his constant threats to take the Marlins out of South Florida if a new stadium isn’t built, to his firing Joe Girardi for no other reason than a personality clash. Loria’s ego matters more than success on the field for the Marlins, and Gonzalez will sooner or later fall prey to this
- Florida Marlins fire Manager Joe Girardi
- Are the Florida Marlins talking to Bobby Valentine?
- Florida Marlins fire Manager Fredi Gonzalez
- Florida Marlins sign Luis Gonzalez to a one-year deal
- The Manager of the year will get a pink slip?
- The Wicked Witch is dead- Florida Marlins finally beat Jamie Moyer
- Florida Marlins’ Anibal Sanchez likely to be out for two months
- Los Angeles Dodgers hire Joe Torre to be Manager
- Braves Name Fredi Gonzalez New Manager
- Florida Marlins trade OF Jeremy Hermida to Boston
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed