They stand a pretty good chance of playing in South Africa next year.
Mun In Guk scored the only goal Wednesday to help North Korea move a step closer to a 2010 World Cup berth with a 1-0 win over Saudi Arabia in Asian qualifying.
It was a deserved victory for the nation that made its only appearance at the World Cup in 1966. The three points gives North Korea seven from four games to share the Group 2 lead with rival South Korea, which plays third-place Iran later Wednesday.
With the top two teams from the group to qualify directly for South Africa 2010, Saudi Arabia is fourth with four points and in danger of missing out on the Cup for the first time since 1990. The United Arab Emirates trails in the standings.
North Korea next hosts the United Arab Emirates on March 28, when Saudi Arabia travels to Iran.- Associated Press
It is good North Koreans are getting better at soccer. A few years ago they tried to kick a referee after a game and missed.
- Venus Williams defeats Israel’s Shahar Peer at the Dubai Tennis Championships
- Ghana beats Czechs 2-0 in World Cup
- Yu-Na Kim wins World Figure Skating Championship
- Dubai tennis cites security fear in barring Israeli tennis player
- U.S. Team Waits to Learn Fate in WBC
- Philippines wins Women’s World Cup Golf Title
- The LPGA in South Korea or where in the world is Carolyn Bivens?
- Israeli Andy Ram allow to play in Dubai
- North Korea blames South for lack of progress on joint Olympic team
- European Tour to include FedEx Cup-style format in ’09
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed