This marks the sixth time this year an NHL team fired their man behind the bench. From ESPN-
Tom Renney was fired as coach of the New York Rangers on Monday and replaced by John Tortorella in an attempt to save a season that has spiraled out of control.
The Rangers opened 10-2-1, but 10 losses in the last 12 games have knocked the team out of contention for the Atlantic Division title and placed it in danger of missing the playoffs completely.
Tortorella led the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Stanley Cup title in 2004 and was let go following last season. The Rangers were not required to provide compensation to the Lightning.
Renney, a former coach of the Vancouver Canucks, was 164-121-42 with the Rangers in four-plus seasons and ranks fourth on the team’s career wins and games coached lists.
I think Renney is the fall guy in New York. The Ranger management has made a series of poor personnel decisions over the last year. Trading for Nikolai Zherdev, Signing Markus Naslund, not retaining Brendan Shanahan.
I do however like John Tortorella. He’ll certainly light a fire under players in New York. Will it work? I don’t know.
- Tampa Bay Lightning fire Coach John Tortorella
- NY Ranger Coach John Tortorella suspended for Game 6
- Kick dirt on him(Tom Hicks) Bucky!
- Rangers Sweep Thrashers
- Ottawa Senators select Craig Hartsburg as new coach
- Washington Capitals Donald Brashear suspended for six games
- Tampa Bay Lightning fire Coach Barry Melrose
- Back on track? Washington beats NY Rangers 4-0
- Boston Bruins hire Claude Julien as coach
- New York Knicks fire Larry Brown
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed