For the second time in a week, the Panthers scored an impressive shutout victory. Last week it took place in Carolina, where the cats won 5-0. Carolina is all right this year, that’s about all. The win was significant for two reasons.
1 Florida rarely wins at Carolina. Just once in over fifteen tries before last week’s game.
2 Carolina was Florida’s closest pursuer for a playoff spot
Last night’s win was more impressive. Goalie Tomas Vokoun shut down the dangerous New Jersey offense that features Zach Parise and Patrik Elias and others. Florida had four different forwards contribute a goal each. They were Stephen Weiss, Cory Stillman, Nathan Horton, and Richard Zednik. All of who now have ten or more goals scored on the season. This against a team that had a seven game road winning streak and had won 13 of their last 15 games.
Vokoun’s fifth shutout of the year gives Florida a league leading team total of eight for the season. Florida’s defensemen whose goal scoring has cooled off of late, are among the highest scoring as a team in the league.
Florida is 16-7-5 at home this year, 13-13-3 on the road, and are 13-4-3 since the beginning. The team is also 8-0 on a certain day of the week. If Florida could only play the rest of the season on Tuesdays……
As it stands now, Florida is 4-way tie for 5th place in the Eastern conference. The Southeast Division leading Washington Capitals are too far ahead to be caught, but Florida I just don’t can be stopped from making the playoffs this year. That is as long as they don’t trade star defensemen Jay Bouwmeester. Bouvwmeester becomes a unrestricted free agent at year’s end, but as the stats show Florida is one of the hottest teams in hockey at present. This team is going to the playoffs, and they could go far in the postseason if they keep playing like they are now.
Next up for the Panthers- Games against Chicago and Boston at Florida.
Rob at Panther’s Portal is also commenting.
- The incredible Tomas Vokoun
- The dumps- Carolina lose 10th in a row, Florida Panthers wins 3-0
- How about them Florida Panthers?
- You gotta believe?- Florida and Tomas Vokoun shutout Nashville 3-0
- Are the 2007-08 Florida Panthers over the hump?
- Florida Panthers end 11-game losing streak in Atlanta dating back to 2003
- FL Panthers win in Edmonton for the first time since 1996
- Holding on for dear life- Florida Panthers defeat Tampa 4-3
- Are we ready for some Florida Panthers hockey?
- Florida Panthers sign defenseman Dennis Seidenberg
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed