Left Winger Rick Nash scored an unusual hat trick. From AP-
The Columbus Blue Jackets gave their playoff hopes a boost — and set a couple of team records, too.
Rick Nash had his fourth career hat trick — his second against Detroit this season and third overall against the Red Wings — in Columbus’ 8-2 victory Saturday night.
R.J. Umberger also scored two goals, Jason Williams had a goal and an assist, Raffi Torres and Andrew Murray also scored, and Steve Mason made 44 saves for Columbus, fighting to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.
Rookie Goalie Steve Mason and Rick Nash are the stars in Columbus these days. Nash, who’s been a top scorer in the NHL since 2003-04, finally looks like he has a worthy supporting cast.
What was unusual about the hat trick?
Nash completed his hat trick with 7:44 left for his 31st goal. All three goals were unassisted.
I can’t ever recall watching a game where the same player scored three unassisted goals. It would have been nice if Associated Press would have reported the last time this happened.
- Rookie Goalie Steve Mason stymies Washington, Columbus wins 3-0
- Snapped- Nashville beats Columbus 4-3
- Goalie Steve Mason at it again- Columbus blanks Ottawa 1-0
- Niklas Backstrom, Steve Mason, and Tim Thomas named Viezina Finalists
- Columbus Blue Jackets fire Coach Ken Hitchcock
- Florida Panther Steven Reinprecht scores a hat trick in less than one period
- Clipping their wings- Florida pounds Atlanta 8-4
- Toronto Maple Leaf Wade Belak scores 1st NHL goal in nearly 4 years
- Blue Jackets Pascal Leclaire is out for the season
- Coming apart?- Buffalo routs Phoenix 7-2
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed