The last time the school played in that tournament was 30 years ago. From ESPN-
The three letters Kentucky fans would rather spit than say may soon be coming to fruition. And if the Wildcats’ postseason disintegrates to the NIT — a seemingly likely scenario after UK’s 60-53 loss to Florida on Saturday — Kentucky has told the NIT it would accept the invitation.
“We’re still planning on making the NCAA tournament but if we don’t, we told them on Friday we would play,” athletic director Mitch Barnhart said.
Barnhart admitted he and the coaching staff thought hard about the decision. Kentucky has made the NCAA Tournament every year since 1992 and its 17 straight NCAA appearances is the third-longest active streak, behind only Arizona (24) and Kansas (19).
UK hasn’t played in the NIT since 1979. At this point, with a four-game losing streak and an RPI in the 70s, it appears that is where the Wildcats are headed unless they can win the SEC tournament title in Tampa.
Kentucky won’t win the SEC so its the NIT or bust. The school made the right choice.
- Tubby Smith leaves Kentucky for Minnesota
- Kentucky Football Coach Rich Brooks retires
- Cal hires Ex-Stanford coach Mike Montgomery
- Central Florida fires Basketball coach Kirk Speraw
- Harvard men’s basketball team to be investigated for recruiting violations
- FIU snaps nation’s longest losing streak, defeats North Texas 38-19
- Cornell wraps up Ivy League title and NCAA tournament bid with 95-76 win over Brown
- Former Gonzaga Basketball Coach Dan Fitzgerald dead at 67
- Cowher to Resign TODAY
- Clemson Men’s Soccer Coach Trevor Adair resigns
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed