The team has reported annual losses of thirty million dollars. From AP-
The NHL has loaned an unknown amount of money to the Phoenix Coyotes for payroll and rent payments.
The Arizona Republic reported that if the team fails to pay its debt, the league can take it over, according to financial records filed with Maricopa County Recorder’s Office.
The day after the team agreed to loan terms Feb. 24 with the NHL, it paid Glendale nearly $351,000 in overdue arena rent payments.
The loan terms give the NHL more control over the future of the struggling Coyotes, including the possible relocation of the team.
The NHL and team owner Jerry Moyes declined to comment.
Beset by annual losses reported at $30 million, Moyes is trying to sell all or part of the team.
A poor economy at present and a team owing money and can’t make ends meet. That is not a good recipe for finding a new owner or investors. Shrinkage is definitely an option for the NHL or other leagues with financially troubled franchises but I don’t expect it to happen unless the economy gets worse over the next year or so and a upturn doesn’t look likely.
- NHL trying to find new revenue for cash-strapped Phoenix Coyotes
- Dallas Stars, Texas Rangers owner defaults on $525M loan
- NY Senators oppose potential Phoenix Coyote move to Canada
- New York Islanders owner regrets buying team
- Bankruptcy Judge approves sale of Phoenix Coyotes to NHL
- Owner of Pimlico racecourse defaults on loan
- Wayne Gretzky resigns as Phoenix Coyotes head Coach
- Russians Expected To Sign NHL-IIHF Transfer Deal
- Hoosier Park owner defaults on loan
- Host course for the PGA Tour’s HP Byron Nelson Championship in foreclosure
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed