He coached the Bulldogs for five years and after that spent two decades as an assistant at Auburn. RIP.
Former Mississippi State head football coach Paul Davis, who led the Bulldogs from 1962 to 1966, has died. He was 87.
Davis died Tuesday at Bethany House, a hospice in Auburn, Ala., according to a hospice spokeswoman and an official at Jeffcoat-Trant Funeral Home in Opelika, Ala. The cause of death was not given.
Davis, a native of Knoxville, Tenn., played at Ole Miss. He was Auburn’s defensive coordinator and assistant head coach under Shug Jordan from 1967 to 1975; an assistant for Doug Barfield from 1975 to 1980; and was a member of Pat Dye’s staff from 1987 to 1990.
In 1963, Davis’ Mississippi State team went 7-2-2 and battled North Carolina State and frigid temperatures to capture the Liberty Bowl in Philadelphia.
Davis’ teams were 20-38-2 overall and 9-22-2 in the Southeastern Conference in his five seasons at Mississippi State.
During his 17-year career at Auburn, Davis coached seven All-Americans and participated in nine bowl games.
- Miss St. basketball coach Rick Stansbury hospitalized
- Former Olympic swin coach Richard Quick dead at 66
- East Carolina hires Jeff Lebo to be its next basketball coach
- Former Arizona State sports coach William Kajikawa dead at 97
- Former UF Baseball Coach Dave Fuller dead at 94
- Erk Russell, Junkyard Dawg, Killed in Car Crash
- Emory Bellard, creator of wishbone offense, dead at 83
- Auburn to name Iowa State’s Gene Chizik as football coach
- Jimbo Fisher to Join Saban at Alabama?
- Former UCLA Football Coach Bill Barnes dead at 91
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed