No word if he danced after the verdict was announced. From the Sun-Sentinel-
Brazilian race car driver and “Dancing With The Stars” champ Helio Castroneves was acquitted Friday of most charges that he worked with his sister and lawyer to evade more than $2.3 million in U.S. income taxes.
A federal jury acquitted Castroneves on six counts of tax evasion but hung on one count of conspiracy. When the sentence was read, Castroneves broke into sobs and leaned against his attorneys for support.
The jury also acquitted Katiucia Castroneves, 35, who is her 33-year-old brother’s business manager, on the tax evasion counts but also hung on the conspiracy. Michigan motorsports attorney Alan Miller, 71, was acquitted on all three counts of tax evasion and one count of conspiracy. The jury deliberated six days after a six-week trial.
Castroneves, speaking in his native Portuguese, expressed profound relief.
“I just want to thank God and my fans, and all of the people who prayed for me,” he said outside the courtroom, still fingering a rosary.
With this behind him, will Castroneves be selected for a position in the Obama administration? Stay tuned!
- Jury finds Richard Williams liable but no damages to be paid
- Champions Tour player Jim Thorpe faces tax evasion charges
- NBA Forward Shawne Williams indicted on felony drug charges
- NY Giant WR Plaxico Burress pleads guilty to felony charge
- Al Capone, Pete Rose, Barry Bonds
- Cowboys Sign ‘Child Molester’ Marcus Dixon
- Barry Bonds to be Indicted
- “I did not take steroids with that syringe”
- Nevada boxing judge indicted for fraud
- Michael Vick Suspension for 2007 Season
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed