Zednik had been playing in the NHL since 1996. From the AP-
Florida Panthers forward Richard Zednik is leaving the NHL to join the Russian league.
Russian hockey club Lokomotiv of the KHL announced Thursday it has signed Zednik to a two-year contract.
Also Thursday, Zednik was named a finalist for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, given in honor of the late Minnesota North Stars player. The award honors “the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey.” The winner will be announced June 18 in Las Vegas.
Zednik had 17 goals in 70 games a season after his carotid artery was sliced by a teammate’s skate blade during a Feb. 10, 2008, game in Buffalo.
Zednik won’t be the last roster move for the Panthers this off season. The team has many unrestricted free agents, the most prominent of which is Jay Bouwmeester who I will be greatly surprised if he is still in a Panther uniform next season.
- A year later- Florida and Richard Zednik defeat Toronto 5-4
- Florida Panther Richard Zednik rushed to hospital with neck injury
- Florida Panther Richard Zednik out for several weeks
- Florida Panthers- Even more pain
- FL Panther Nathan Horton to miss 2-4 weeks
- Florida Panthers lose their sixth in a row
- Shape up or be dealt, FL Panther veterans told
- Niklas Backstrom, Steve Mason, and Tim Thomas named Viezina Finalists
- Clipping their wings- Florida pounds Atlanta 8-4
- Carolina Hurricane Goalie Cam Ward taken to hospital with a cut in his leg
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed