Mine that Bird wins the Kentucky Derby
Calvin Borel gave the Took advantage of an opening along the rail during the stretch to storm past a half dozen other horses. The three-year-old gelding, went off at over 50-1 odds. I thought this Derby would be won by a longshot, but not one of this scale.
This was Borel’s second winner in the Kentucky Derby in three years. He was the jockey of 2007 winner, Street Sense also.
The last gelding to win was Funny Cide in 2003. Before that none had won the ‘Run for the Roses’ since 1929.
Favorite I want revenge was a late scratch. The other favorite, Friesan Fire, finished 18th in a field of 19 starters. As soon as someone uploads a video of the race to You Tube, I’ll update this post. Now it is two weeks to the Preakness Stakes.
- Preakness winner Bernardini out of Belmont
- Last horse standing? Win Willy withdraws from the Kentucky Derby
- Bernardini Wins Preakness; Barbaro Hurt
- Preakness winner Rachel Alexandra won’t run in Belmont Stakes
- 3-year-old Rags to Riches wins the Belmont Stakes
- Rachel Alexandra wins the Preakness Stakes
- Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Big Brown has hoof injury
- Barbaro’s condition may be serious
- Triumph and tragedy at the Kentucky Derby
- Ex-Claimer wins Breeders Cup Dirt Mile
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed