She died in a mountain climbing accident. How Tragic. RIP.
Ruby was roped to other climbers when she and some members of the group fell into a deep crack in the glacier on the way down the mountain, Chamonix police official Laurent Sayssac said.
A 38-year-old man from the Paris region also died in the fall, and a 27-year-old man was evacuated by helicopter with serious injuries and hospitalized, Sayssac added.
French Prime Minister Francois Fillon called Ruby an “exceptional sportswoman.”
“Karine incarnated the emergence of snowboarding in France,” Fillon said in a statement. “The people of France will hold on to the memory of her talent and her joie de vivre.”
Ruby won a gold medal in the giant slalom at the 1998 Nagano Olympics and a silver in the parallel giant slalom at the 2002 Salt Lake City Games.
She was a six-time world champion with 65 snowboard World Cup victories.
She retired after the 2006 Turin Olympics, where she was eliminated in the quarterfinals of the snowboardcross event.
- Olympic Medalist skiier Jimmie Heuga dead at 68
- Former Olympic Gold medal wrestler Henry Wittenberg dead at 91
- 2010 Olympic venue closed due to heavy rains
- Kim Yu-na wins Women’s figure skating gold medal
- Kim Yu-Na wins the TrophÃ©e Eric Bompard
- WBA Light Flyweight Champion Brahim Asloum announces his retirement
- Former Gold medalist James DeGale wins pro debut
- Kim Yu-na Wins Gold at Four Continents Figure Skating Championships
- Usain Bolt sets new 100m record
- IOC strips Marion Jones of 5 medals
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed