She was the first filly to win the second leg of thoroughbred* horse racing’s triple crown in over 80 years. Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Byrd finished 2nd only one length back.
Jockey Calvin Borel won two triple crown races with different horses. Much was made of this, but in harness horse racing I think it is not a unheard of happening. Drivers like the late Stanley Dancer or Billy Haughton had large stables with many top horses at the same time.
The question is now whether Rachel Alexandra will race in the Belmont Stakes. Borel did say the filly didn’t race her best. The may that Mine That Byrd closes, I think Rachel Alexandra would have great difficulty winning the Belmont. The Belmont is the longest triple crown race at a mile and a half.
*- It is often reported the Preakness, Belmont, Kentucky are the legs of horse racing’s triple crown. There are other types of horse racing, not just thoroughbreds. Standardbreds and Quarterhorses for two. Harness racing’s Little Brown Jug and Hambletonian are as much triple crown races as are the three legs of thoroughbred racing’s are.
- Preakness winner Rachel Alexandra won’t run in Belmont Stakes
- Bernardini Wins Preakness; Barbaro Hurt
- 3-year-old Rags to Riches wins the Belmont Stakes
- Rosecroft Raceway ceases operations
- Triumph and tragedy at the Kentucky Derby
- From Relief pitcher to Horse trainer
- Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Big Brown has hoof injury
- Kentucky Horse Racing Commission suspends Jockey Calvin Borel
- Board votes to discontinue harness racing at Prairie Meadows
- Adios stakes race probably moving to Pocono Downs for 2008
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed