Chalk up a win for political correctness. From the Argus Leader-
North Dakotaâ€™s Board of Higher Education has agreed to drop the University of North Dakotaâ€™s Fighting Sioux nickname and Indian head logo, a move intended to resolve a decades-long campus dispute about whether the name demeans American Indians.
The name and logo, which is a profile of an American Indian man with feathers and streaks of paint on his face, could still be saved if North Dakotaâ€™s Standing Rock and Spirit Lake Sioux tribes agree by Oct. 1 to give UND permission to use them for at least 30 years.
However, tribal officials say that possibility is remote, and board members and UND President Robert Kelley spoke of the logo and nickname in the past tense on Thursday. Unless the name and logo receive tribal endorsement, they will be retired for good on Aug. 1, 2010.
The board, which met Thursday at Dickinson State University, voted 8-0 to retire the logo and nickname.
So what should the new North Dakota nickname be? The fighting Certified Public Accountants? The armed and ready B-52s? Any other suggestions?
Hat tip- Joanne Jacobs
- North Dakota to sue NCAA over nickname
- Will the University of Minnesota drop out of the Big 10?
- NCAA Nicknames
- State senator questions University of Illinois mascot ruling
- Carol Russell- Coach and Mother
- Senator Questions Gamecocks’ Mascot
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania Crimson Hawks – Porn Stars?
- Hofstra University to drop football program
- University of Memphis football player shot dead
- Oklahoma State Baseball accused of major rules violation
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed