She once was an assistant coach at Duke and Kent State. From AP-
Florida hired Dowling as its golf coach Monday, giving the former “Big Break” contestant her first head coaching job.
Dowling replaces Jill Briles-Hinton, who resigned last month after the Gators finished 16th in the NCAA East regional played in Gainesville.
Dowling spent one year as an assistant at Duke and two seasons as an assistant at Kent State. She also played professionally for almost three years before entering the coaching ranks. From 2003 to 2005, she competed on the Futures Tour and on the Canadian Women’s Tour.
The Bradford, Ontario, native also participated in the Golf Channel’s reality TV series “Big Break” in 2005.
I love the sport of golf, but have never the Big Break. In fact, I don’t watch any reality shows.
As for college golf in general, on the women’s side fewer top golfers are playing collegiate ball before trying their luck at the LPGA. In fact, the only American LPGA golfer since 1998 who was 23 or younger and went to college for four years before winning their first event, is naturalized US citizen Candie Kung. LPGA players are winning at younger ages, but many if not most skipped playing college ball.
- LPGA Founder Betty Jameson Dead at 89
- LPGA announces banned drug list
- LPGA Tour Founder and AP female athlete of the year winner Patty Berg dead at 88
- Former PGA Tour player Mike Souchak dead at 81
- The U.S. Women’s Golf Open is underway
- Oregon fires Coach Ernie Kent
- NFL Draft 2011 Round 2 #33 New England Patriots DB Ras-I Dowling
- See what I mean about the LPGA and The Golf Channel
- Season opener- PGA Tour SBS Championship begins today
- Why have a rule if it isn’t enforced for everyone?
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed