The person nicknamed ‘The Missile’ is in for a heap of trouble. From AP-
Former mountain biking world champion Melissa “Missy” Giove was in custody Thursday on federal drug charges after authorities said they seized more than 200 pounds of marijuana from a truck she was driving in upstate New York.
U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration officials said Wednesday that the 37-year-old Giove, of Chesapeake, Va., and 30-year-old Eric Canori of Wilton were charged Tuesday with conspiring to possess and distribute more than 100 kilograms of marijuana.
Authorities said they seized nearly 400 pounds of pot from the truck and from Canori’s home outside Saratoga Springs, 25 miles north of Albany.
Giove and Canori were in the custody of U.S. Marshals pending detention hearings Thursday afternoon in Albany.
DEA spokeswoman Erin Mulvey said authorities learned of Giove and Canori’s plans last weekend when Illinois State Police pulled over a woman driving a truck and trailer loaded with about 220 pounds of marijuana. Authorities completed the delivery to the Albany area, where Mulvey said Giove picked up the vehicle and trailer.
Officials said Giove then drove north and followed Canori to his home, where some of the trailer’s contents were unloaded.
Giove was later arrested at nearby Saratoga Lake, authorities said. A search of Canori’s home turned up more than 150 pounds of pot and more than $1 million in cash stashed in a closet and the basement, the DEA said.
Giove, nicknamed “The Missile” for her aggressive riding style, was the downhill world champion in 1994 and won World Cup season titles in ’97 and ’98, then captured national titles from 1999-2001. One of the sport’s first mainstream female stars, she retired from downhill racing in 2003.
400 lbs isn’t simple possession but sounds like someone was dealing. In light of how Giove is facing federal charges, if found guilty she will be in jail for a very long time.
- San Diego Charger LB Shawne Merriman charged with battery
- Linda Rice is Saratoga’s leading trainer for 2009
- Chargers LB Steve Foley Shot Three Times by Police
- San Francisco Giant P Tim Lincecum charged with marijuana possession
- Corinne Rey-Bellet, Swiss Sking Star, Murdered
- Chicago Bulls’ Joakim Noah arrested for possession of marijuana
- Cincinnati Bengal WR Chris Henry dead at age 26
- Steve Howe Killed in Car Crash
- Former NFL RB Travis Henry will go to prison for cocaine distribution
- Harness driver-trainer Daryl Busse dead at age 67
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed