He played in the NFL for 15 seasons with four different teams. From AP-
Veteran quarterback Trent Green says he has decided to retire, Fox Sports reported.
Green, whose career was hampered by injuries, played for five teams over 15 seasons and spent last season with the St. Louis Rams as Marc Bulger’s backup. The Rams released him earlier this year.
He was the Kansas City Chiefs’ starter between 2001 and 2005, passing for more than 3,600 yards in each season. But concussions — most notably, a frightening hit in the 2006 season opener — slowed his latter career.
In 120 career games, Green completed 2,266 of 3,740 passes for 28,475 yards, with 162 touchdowns, 114 interceptions and a passer rating of 86.0. He threw for at least 24 touchdowns in three consecutive seasons (2002-04 ) for the Chiefs and led the team to a pair of playoff appearances, in 2003 and 2006, losing to the Indianapolis Colts both times.
One of Green’s injuries helped shape the fortunes of another NFL quarterback.
Green was slated to be the Rams’ starting quarterback in 1999 when he was hurt during a preseason game. Kurt Warner took over and took the Rams to a pair of Super Bowls, winning it all in the 2000 game against the Tennessee Titans.
Green also played for the Washington Redskins and Miami Dolphins.
Green was a good player and a smart person till 2006 when everything began to get scrambled after he suffered a concussion. The Miami Dolphins traded for Green before the 2007 only to see him go down again with yet another concussion. Afterwards Green went doctor shopping as he tried clinging to an NFL job.
After the Dolphins disasterous 07 season, Green was released but the St. Louis Rams picked him up and even installed him as the team’s starting quarterback for a while but his play was less than impressive. Now that he has given up playing, Green might have a future as a quarterback coach. I wish him well wherever life may take him.
- Former Miami Dolphin QB Trent Green signs with Rams
- Rams bench QB Marc Bulger for Trent Green
- NFL QB Daunte Culpepper announces his retirement
- Trent Green suffers second concussion in two years
- Miami Dolphins put QB Trent Green on injured reserve
- Miami Dolphins acquire QB Tyler Thigpen from Kansas City
- The Miami Dolphins want Trent Green back at QB?
- Another quick fix at QB for the Miami Dolphins?
- Are the Miami Dolphins about to cut Daunte Culpepper?
- Kurt Warner May Be Benched for Matt Leinart
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed