The last time I remember a position player earning a point via a kick in a regular season game was Doug Flutie versus the Miami Dolphins. From AP-
A new role, another new name for Chad Ochocinco.
Cincinnati’s emergency kicker and international soccer fan booted the decisive extra point late in the first half and the Bengals beat the sloppy New England Patriots 7-6 on Thursday night.
“‘Esteban’ Ochocinco is back, the most interesting footballer in the world,” Ochocinco said. “Everyone has to remember, I’ve always said that soccer is my No. 1 sport. I think Ronaldinho would be proud of me right now.”
Ochocinco practices kicking but had never done it in a preseason or regular-season game in his eight years with the Bengals, the first seven as Chad Johnson. But when Shayne Graham’s groin felt sore in pregame warmups, coach Marvin Lewis decided to rest the team’s franchise player and see what Ochocinco could do.
Wes Welker notched an extra point in a Miami game four years ago but I didn’t remember it till reading the above article. I remember a Steeler-Raider AFC Championship game in the 70′s where Roy Gerela got hurt and the Steelers had offensive lineman Ray Mansfield do the kicking.
- Cincinnati Bengal WR Chad Ochocinco fined for orange chin strap
- Bengals put name Ocho Cinco on No. 85 jersey
- Cincinnati Bengals sign WR Antonio Bryant
- Cincinnati Bengals sign RB Larry Johnson
- Cincinnati Bengals ‘franchise’ placekicker Shayne Graham
- Battle of the
PitsOhio- Cincinnati beats Cleveland 14-0
- NFL Draft 2010 â€“ Round 1 #21- Cincinnati- TE Jermaine Gresham
- Cincinnati Bengals lose rookie OL Andre Smith to a foot fracture
- Extending Billick
- Cincy A Bunch of Winning Moral Reprobates
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed