The offensive lineman suffered a fracture in a foot during a non-contact drill Tuesday and it is not known how long he will be out, but he will miss the Bengals’ opener on Sept. 13. Smith missed 30 days before agreeing to terms two days ago.
“Andre suffered a small fracture in his left foot during a non-contact drill,” Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement. “Our medical staff tells me the injury will not require surgery. It’s too soon to closely predict how long it will be before he can return to practice, but it looks like he’s going to miss a few weeks.”
Smith is currently on a roster exemption granted by commissioner Roger Goodell because of his late arrival. The exemption lasts until next week.
Smith was the sixth pick in the NFL draft and the most recent to sign. Michael Crabtree of the 49ers is the only unsigned first-rounder.
There is believed to be a weight clause in Smith’s contract. If he can’t keep his weight under 350 lbs, he’ll be penalized financially.
Little breaks the right way for the hapless Bengals who have only been to the playoffs once over the last 20 seasons. I saw them play in Super Bowl VII in person. That seems like another lifetime ago in light of the franchise’s more recent history.
- San Francisco 49ers sign WR Michael Crabtree
- Yao Ming out for the rest of the season with broken foot
- NFL Draft 2009 – Round 1 #6- Cincinnati Bengals- OT Andre Smith
- Tiger Woods may not play the rest of 2008
- NY Islanders forward Doug Weight out six weeks with MCL sprain
- Battle of the
PitsOhio- Cincinnati beats Cleveland 14-0
- Miami Dolphins put QB Trent Green on injured reserve
- Florida Panther Ville Peltonen out for 2 weeks with broken foot
- Big Ben: “If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet.”
- Yao Ming Breaks Leg (Photo, Video)
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed