Did the bribe fail because the Rolex was a fake?* From AP-
Four officials of the Mongolia team were expelled from the world boxing championships Thursday for allegedly trying to bribe a referee with a watch.
The Mongolian boxers, their coaches and team doctor were allowed to stay in Milan until the championships end Saturday, the International Amateur Boxing Association said on its Web site.
AIBA’s code of ethics says any gifts offered to a referee must be authorized. Gifts can be exchanged “only as a mark of respect or friendship” but must have a nominal value.
AIBA spokesman Richard Baker said the Mongolian delegation violated the code by the manner in which the watch was offered, and because it hadn’t been cleared by AIBA.
“Depending on how it was done, these things can be approved,” he said. In the Mongolian case, “it wasn’t done with transparency.”
The code of conduct first took effect during the Beijing Olympics. It was designed to “eliminate any potential of suspicion” that gifts might affect the outcome of a match, Baker said.
You can turn off the sarcasm now.
- Olympic boxing weight classes reduced for 2012
- Tanzanian soccer referees banned over match-fixing
- Canadian Parliament Questions Hockey Canada
- Former Gold medalist James DeGale wins pro debut
- Red Panties at Wimbledon?
- Hall of Fame Boxing Referee and Judge Lou Filippo dead at 83
- Joe Calzaghe: Boxing on the ropes
- SEC suspends entire football officiating crew
- Usain Bolt sets new 100m record
- Nevada Boxing Commission votes to allow instant replay
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed