He is in a close fight with Joe Mauer of the Minnesota Twins for the American League batting title. From AFP-
Seattle Mariners outfielder Ichiro Suzuki(notes) was ejected from Saturdayâ€™s game against the Blue Jays for arguing a called third strike, the first time in his career heâ€™s been thrown out of a game.The prolific hitter used his bat to draw a line on the outer edge of the plate, demonstrating that he thought David Purceyâ€™s(notes) strike-three pitch was outside.
Home plate umpire Brian Runge immediately tossed Suzuki, who argued briefly before Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu walked him off the field.
Here’s the video of what happened.
Did Suzuki deserve being thrown out of a game for drawing a line in the dirt. I’ve seen players and coaches go apeshit towards an umpire and not get ejected.
GI at ROK Drop writes-
I have to say that has to be about the lamest ejection I have ever seen given by umpire for ejecting someone for drawing a line in the dirt. I am willing to bet the umpire was just trying to make a name for himself and it worked.
The ejection was lame but I don’t think Runge was trying to make a name for himself. He just overreacted, IMHO.
- Bobby Cox Ties All-Time Ejections Record
- Seattle Mariners name Don Wakamatsu as manager
- You’re Out!- Umpire throws out entire crowd at high school baseball game
- Ichiro Suzuki sets new hit streak record
- Mariner’s Major Concern: Keep Ichiro
- Busy Yankee game: Rocket dominates, benches clear and Joba debuts
- Former NL Umpire Ed Vargo dead at 79
- Seattle Mariners fire Manager John McLaren
- And You Thought Pete Rose Got Mad . . .
- Arizona Diamondback P Edwin Jackson throws a no-hitter
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed