The closer will miss three games. From ESPN-
Detroit Tigers pitcher Fernando Rodney has been suspended for three games and fined for throwing a ball toward the stands following a game last week.
During a postgame celebration on the field after Detroit beat Tampa Bay 4-3 on Friday night, Rodney threw the game ball toward the seats and it ended up in the press box. No one was hit by the ball, which Rodney said he was throwing to the fans.
It followed an arduous 35-pitch save by the right-hander.
“I threw the ball to the fans — it was nothing,” Rodney said at the time. “I know I’m not supposed to throw the ball, but I’m feeling the moment. I threw it to the right spot and didn’t hit anybody.
The penalty was announced Tuesday by baseball vice president for discipline Bob Watson.
The Tigers have a 6.5 game lead in the Central Division and appear safe for the post season but as any baseball historian knows, crazier things have happened. Why not just fine Rodney rather than possibly alter a pennant race by suspending a crucial player?
- Detroit Tigers demote Dontrelle Willis to Class A Ball
- One game to go- Minnesota beats Kansas City 5-4
- Los Angeles Angels sign reliever Fernando Rodney
- Toronto’s Nik Antropov suspended 3 games for throwing stick
- Bud Selig Will Not Overturn Umpire’s Call In Blown Perfect Game
- Detroit Tigers release Designated Hitter Gary Sheffield
- San Diego Padres pitcher David Wells suspened for seven games
- Baseball GMs Recommend Instant Replay
- Blown Call Robs Armando Galarraga Of Perfect Game
- St. Louis Cardinals 2006 World Series Champions
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed