The Rose Bowl is only 10 miles from the site of wildfires. From AP-
UCLA plans to play its scheduled game Saturday against San Diego State at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena despite the giant wildfire burning to the north in the Angeles National Forest.
Athletics director Dan Guerrero said in a statement Thursday that the decision was made based upon information from local air-quality officials and Pasadena city fire and health authorities.
Guerrero says there were also consultations with the university’s own medical staff.
The Rose Bowl is less than 10 miles south of Angeles National Forest.
A university statement also quotes an air pollution official as saying that weather conditions are expected to improve on Saturday. The forecast calls for sunny skies and a high of 90 degrees.
I used to travel to Southern California quite frequently from 1997 to 2001. The air quality isn’t very good when there aren’t any fires in the area.
UCLA also announced that it will offer complimentary tickets to the game for all Southern California firefighters and their immediate families.
That is very thoughtful. It also makes clear that the game isn’t a sellout. If I was a firefighter or a family member, I’d stay home.
- Iowa and Washington State Football Coach Forest Evashevski dead at 91
- Schwarzenegger Wants Two NFL Teams, Chargers Looking for Home
- Former UCLA Football Coach Bill Barnes dead at 91
- Rick Neuheisel UCLA’s New Coach
- USC Leaps Over Michigan in BCS Poll
- Vladimir Guerrero’s Health
- Texas Rangers sign Vladimir Guerrero
- Who Owns the Bush House?
- Tennessee Stuns #9 Cal
- Navy runs by Wake Forest 13-10
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed