The fluke goal took all the air out of Liverpool. From AP-
Maybe a lifeguard should have run on the field and declared no goal.
A beach ball from the stands floated on the field in the opening minutes of Saturday’s Sunderland-Liverpool game in the Premier League. It might as well have been a set piece for Sunderland.
Sunderland’s Darren Bent took a shot that Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina appeared to have covered. But Bent’s ball hit a large red beach ball, deflecting past Reina and into the net.
The goal, coming in the fifth minute at the Stadium of Light, stood. No referee – or lifeguard – waved it off.
The video can be found here. It can not be embedded.
- US Embarrassed 3-0 by Czech Republic
- USA Takes Bronze at World Junior Ice Hockey Championship
- Rockies Watch Film on iPods
- ‘Hand of God’ No Goal, 20 Years Too Late
- FSN Pittsburgh suspends hockey producer
- Phil Dawson Crazy Field Goal (Video)
- Dallas Falls to Seattle in Stunner
- Stronger Kickers Changing Game Strategy
- Vancouver Canuck Alex Burrows fined for referee comments
- Fans Don’t Pay to See Referee’s Ego
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed