He was playing basketball in Portugal when he suddenly collapsed during a game. RIP.
Kevin Widemond, a 23-year-old American guard, died of a heart attack during a Portuguese basketball tournament.
The Portuguese basketball federation said Widemond collapsed in the locker room Sunday during halftime of a game between his team Ovarense and Academica in Leiria, in northern Portugal.
Widemond, a native of Newark, N.J., had played 10 minutes in the third-place playoff game of the cup competition, which was canceled following his death.
“He was sitting on a bench, listening with the others to what the coach was saying, when he just keeled over,” Ovarense sports director Jose Eduardo said.
A doctor immediately began trying to resuscitate Widemond and those efforts continued in an ambulance and then at the hospital, Eduardo told public broadcaster RTP.
Eduardo said Widemond underwent extensive medical tests when he joined Ovarense a month ago. An autopsy would be performed, he said.
- Former Gonzaga Basketball Coach Dan Fitzgerald dead at 67
- Harvard men’s basketball team to be investigated for recruiting violations
- Detroit Piston Rodney Stuckey taken to the hospital
- Former Arizona State sports coach William Kajikawa dead at 97
- Denver Nuggets won’t suspend J.R. Smith
- Former College and NBA Head Coach Fred Schaus dead at 84
- LSU Women’s Basketball Coach Resigns
- NY Knicks fire coach Isiah Thomas
- U of Missouri sells old phones with coaches data stored on them
- Loyola MD coach sits in stands, lets assistant coach after technical
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed