Didn’t the Governor of Tokyo just say the 2016 games were likely to be the last? From AP-
Hiroshima and Nagasaki – site of atomic bombings in World War II – are teaming up to make a bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics that will emphasize world peace.
Hiroshima Mayor Tadatoshi Akiba and Nagasaki Mayor Tomihisa Taue announced on Sunday that they will form a joint bid committee. The mayors are founding members of the Mayors for Peace 2020 Vision Campaign, which advocates for a global ban on nuclear arms.
“The Olympics symbolize the abolition of nuclear arms and world peace, and we want to work to realize our plan to host the games,” Akiba said.
No, the Olympics have nothing to do with nuclear disarmament. If the Nobel Prize committe is determining the site of future Olympics, Nagasaki and Hiroshima may well be chosen using this argument, otherwise it is a pipe dream.
- 2016 Summer Olympic Games could be the last, says Tokyo governor
- Tennis stadium evacuated for bag scare
- Former NY Yankee pitcher Tommy Byrne dead at 87
- Team USA Winning Basketball Games
- Usain Bolt sets new 100m record
- To Stop Olympic Stink, London Spends Â£2bn
- Weekly Miami Dolphins prediction
- Michael Phelps Ties Mark Spitz’ 7 Gold Medals
- Former Olympic Gold medal wrestler Henry Wittenberg dead at 91
- Tyson Gay Out of Olympic 200
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed