It was done by Nicholas Thompson, who has never finished better than 2nd in a PGA Tour event. From AP-
Nicholas Thompson gained five shots in quick fashion with a double eagle and a hole in one to storm into contention at the Frys.com Open.
Thompson, using a 3-wood, sank his shot from 261 yards on the par-5, 562-yard 11th hole on the Raptor Course at the Grayhawk Golf Club.
After a par on No. 12, Thompson’s tee shot with a 7-iron went in on the par-3, 199-yard 13th. In three holes, he moved from 6 under to 11-under par.
It was the fourth double eagle on the PGA Tour this year.
I think four may be a record for one year. Double eagles were seldom seen in tournaments when par 5′s were only reachable with a driver and a wood. Club technology has made many unreachable holes now only a driver and mid-iron away.
BTW Thompson stands -11 after 3 rounds and four shots behind the leader, Troy Matteson.
- Tiger Takes U.S. Open Lead with Amazing Close
- Nine holes with Cristie Kerr and Christina Kim
- Domination- Jiyai Shin wins the Women’s British Open
- Honesty wins
- Holy Toledo- In-Kyung Kim ties LPGA Tour record for nine holes
- Angela Stanford wins 2009 LPGA season opener
- Philippines wins Women’s World Cup Golf Title
- Nationwide Tour player aces sames hole on back to back days
- Declawed- Y.E. Yang wins the PGA Championship
- Na Yeon Choi wins the U.S. Women’s Open
- Eight is Enough- Edmonton beats Chicago 8-4
- Lydia Ko wins New South Wales Open
- The Comeback I- Pittsburgh Penguins beat NY Islanders 5-0
- Seattle Mariners Outfielder Greg Halman stabbed to death at age 24
- Hee Young Park wins CME Titleholders Championship
- Oklahoma State Women’s Basketball Coach Kurt Budke dead at 50
- Costly mistake- Blackhawks waive Rostislav Olesz
- Manager Tony La Russa announces retirement
- Puck Drop- Florida Panthers start the 2011-12 NHL season
- 13-time PGA Tour winner Dave Hill dead at 74
Comments are Closed